Maharashtrian cuisine is renowned for its rich and diverse flavours, with a variety of spices playing a pivotal role in defining its distinctive taste. Among the treasure trove of spice blends, Ghati Masala, Goda Masala, Malvani Chicken Masala, Aagri Fish Masala and Kala Masala stand out as quintessential blends that encapsulate the essence of Maharashtra's culinary heritage.
These Maharashtrian masalas are not just seasoning agents but are emblematic of centuries-old culinary traditions passed down through generations.
Let us take you through the nuances of these masalas and explore creative ways to infuse them into everyday recipes, bringing a burst of authentic Maharashtrian flavours and aroma to your kitchen.
Ghati Masala is a versatile red chilli spice blend originating from the Western Ghats of Maharashtra, known for its robust and earthy flavours. It typically comprises a blend of coriander seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chilies, cloves, cinnamon and other aromatic spices.
Quick easy recipes using Ghati Masala.
- Ghati Masala Spiced Aloo: Toss diced potatoes with Maharashtrian’s authentic Ghati Masala, salt and a drizzle of oil. Roast in the oven until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves for an irresistible side dish.
- Ghati Masala Bhel Puri: Mix puffed rice with Ghati Masala in a large bowl. Add finely chopped tomatoes, onions and fresh coriander. Drizzle tamarind or meethi chutney over the mixture and toss. Sprinkle generous amounts of sev on top. Serve the Ghati Masala Bhel Puri, immediately as a flavourful and spicy evening snack.
- Ghati Masala Marinade for Grilled Vegetables: Create a marinade using Ghati Masala, curd, garlic, ginger, salt and lemon juice. Coat vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini and eggplant with the marinade and grill until tender. Serve as a vibrant and flavourful vegetarian starter or entree.
Goda Masala is a quintessential Maharashtrian spice blend renowned for its unique mild sweet aftertaste. It typically features ingredients such as sesame seeds, dry coconut, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves, lending a distinct richness to dishes.
Quick easy recipes using Goda Masala.
- Goda Masala Rice Pulao: Saute Maharashtrian’s authentic Goda Masala with chopped onions, green peas and basmati rice for a fragrant and flavourful rice pulao. The subtle sweetness of the masala enhances the natural sweetness of the peas, resulting in a delightful one-pot meal.
- Goda Masala Vegetable Curry: Simmer mixed vegetables in a tomato-based curry sauce seasoned with Goda Masala and coconut milk. The complex flavours of the masala complement the sweetness of the coconut milk, creating a luscious and aromatic curry that pairs perfectly with rice or roti.
- Goda Masala Stuffed Brinjal: Slit brinjals and stuff them with a mixture of Goda Masala, grated coconut, tamarind paste, jaggery and salt. In a pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and stuffed brinjals. Cook until brinjals are tender. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Malvani Chicken Masala:
Malvani Chicken Masala is a fiery spice blend hailing from the coastal region of Malvan in Maharashtra, renowned for its bold and tangy flavours. Typically comprising red chilies, garlic, ginger, cumin and coriander seeds, this masala adds a punch to any dish, especially chicken.
Quick easy recipes using Malvani Chicken Masala.
- Malvani Chicken Tacos: Marinate chicken strips in Maharashtrian’s authentic Malvani Chicken Masala, lime juice and oil. Saute until done. Warm and toast taco shells. Fill with Malvani Masala chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, grate cheese and top with sour cream and cilantro. Serve immediately for a delicious Malvani-inspired chicken taco experience.
- Malvani Chicken Pizza: Spread a thin layer of Malvani Chicken Masala-infused tomato sauce over pizza dough. Top with cooked chicken, onions, bell peppers, and cheese before baking to perfection. The bold flavours of the masala add depth to the pizza, making it a standout favourite.
- Malvani Chicken Masala Stir-Fry: Stir-fry chicken strips with bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms, seasoned with Malvani Chicken Masala and soy sauce. Serve over steamed rice or noodles for a quick and satisfying dinner bursting with coastal flavours.
Aagri Fish Masala:
Aagri Fish Masala is a zesty spice blend originating from the Agri community of Maharashtra, celebrated for its tangy and aromatic notes. Combining ingredients like red chilli, black pepper and coriander seeds, this masala is tailor-made for enhancing the flavour of fish dishes.
Quick easy recipes using Aagri Fish Masala.
- Aagri Masala Grilled Prawns: Marinate fresh prawns with salt and Aagri Fish Masala. Thread onto skewers and grill until they develop a smoky char. Serve these flavourful Aagri Fish Masala Grilled Prawns with a squeeze of lemon for a delightful seafood dish.
- Aagri Fish Masala Salad: Marinate the fish pieces in Aagri Fish Masala. Skewer them and grill until perfectly charred. Serve these flavourful Aagri Fish Grilled Kebabs with a side of green chutney for a delightful seafood experience.
- Aagri Fish Masala Coconut Curry: Marinate the fish with salt and Aagri Fish Curry Masala. In a blender, combine coconut, green chilli, ginger and garlic to form a paste. Sauté the marinated fish, then pour the blended paste over it. Adjust the water to achieve the desired consistency. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with steamed rice for a decadent and comforting seafood curry that's perfect for cosy nights in.
Kala Masala, also known as 'Black Masala,' is a pungent spice blend originating from the regions of Maharashtra, characterised by its deep, earthy flavours. Comprising ingredients such as black cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and stone flower (dagad phool), this masala imparts a distinct aroma and colour to dishes.
Quick easy recipes using Kala Masala.
- Kala Masala Spiced Roasted Vegetables: Toss a medley of vegetables with Kala Masala, olive oil and salt. Roast until caramelised and tender, then sprinkle with fresh coriander before serving. The robust flavours of the masala add depth to the roasted vegetables, making them a standout side dish.
- Kala Masala Paneer Tikka: Marinate paneer cubes in curd seasoned with Kala Masala, ginger, garlic and lemon juice. Thread onto skewers with bell peppers and onions, then grill until charred and aromatic. Serve with green chutney for a delightful appetiser.
- Kala Masala Buttered Corn: Sauté fresh corn kernels with a generous sprinkle of Kala Masala until they are coated with the spice blend. Add a spoon of butter and stir until well combined. This quick and flavourful Kala Masala Buttered Corn makes for a deliciously spiced side dish perfect for any meal.
Incorporating these authentic Maharashtrian Masalas into everyday recipes opens up a world of culinary possibilities, allowing you to experience the vibrant and diverse flavours of Maharashtra in your own kitchen.
Whether you're spicing up roasted vegetables, marinating meats or simmering curries, these traditional masalas add depth, complexity, and authenticity to dishes, elevating your everyday cooking to new heights. Embrace the rich heritage of Maharashtrian cuisine with these aromatic spice blends.
Aazol’s extensive range of authentic Maharashtrian spices boasts a distinctive selection of masalas that not only enhance your culinary experience but also pay a heartfelt tribute to the diverse regions of Maharashtra. Among these regional treasures, you'll find Ghati, Goda, Aagri and Malvani masalas, each bearing the unique essence of its place of origin.
For those seeking the convenience of purchasing authentic masalas online, our collection is the perfect choice. With just a few clicks, you can explore and buy these flavourful treasures that have been cherished by generations. Aazol provides free shipping and COD pan India. Shop for these Maharashtrian masalas online on www.aazol.in