In the heart of Indian kitchens, Amla (Indian Gooseberry) and Gulkand (rose petal preserve) come together to create a delightful fusion of flavours and health benefits. From traditional remedies to contemporary culinary delights, these two ingredients add a unique touch to every Indian cuisine.
In this exploration, we present 5 easy and flavourful Indian recipes that showcase the versatility of Amla Gulkand.
1. Amla Kheer Recipe
- 1/2 cup Basmati Rice
- 1 litre Milk
- 1/3 cup Amla Gulkand
- 1/2 cup Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- A pinch of Saffron Strands (optional)
- Chopped Nuts (Almonds, Cashews, Pistachios) for garnish
Prepare the Rice:
- Rinse the basmati rice under cold water until the water runs clear
- Soak the rice in water for about 30 minutes
- Drain the water and set aside
Cook the Rice:
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, bring the milk to a boil
- Add the soaked and drained basmati rice to the boiling milk
- Add the soaked and drained basmati rice to the boiling milk
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until the rice is fully cooked and the kheer thickens.
- This may take approximately 20-25 minutes
- Once the rice is cooked and the kheer has thickened, add Amla Gulkand to the mixture
- Stir well to combine, allowing the Amla Gulkand to infuse its sweet and tangy flavours into the kheer
- Add sugar, adjusting the quantity according to your sweetness preference
Flavour the Kheer:
- Sprinkle cardamom powder into the kheer, providing a fragrant and aromatic touch
- If desired, add a pinch of saffron strands for additional colour and flavour
- Once the kheer reaches the desired consistency, remove it from heat
- Allow the kheer to cool slightly before transferring it to serving bowls
- Garnish with chopped nuts like almonds, cashews, and pistachios
Chill and Enjoy:
- For an extra refreshing experience, you can serve the Amla Gulkand Kheer chilled.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving
This Amla Gulkand Kheer is a delightful twist on the classic Indian rice pudding, combining the richness of milk with the unique sweetness and tanginess of Amla Gulkand. Enjoy this delicious dessert as a perfect conclusion to your meal or as a special treat during festive occasions.
2. Amla Rose Gulkand Lassi
- 1 cup fresh Amla (Indian Gooseberry) juice
- 2 tablespoons Amla Rose Gulkand
- 1 cup chilled curd
- 2 tablespoons honey (adjust to taste)
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Amla slices for garnish
Prepare Amla Juice:
- Wash and deseed fresh Amla
- Blend the Amla in a juicer or blender until you get a smooth juice
- Strain to remove any pulp
- In a blender, combine Amla juice, Amla Gulkand, chilled curd, and honey.
- Taste the Lassi and adjust the sweetness by adding more honey if needed
- Blend again if necessary
- If you prefer a colder Lassi, you can add ice cubes to the blender and blend until the ice is crushed.
- Pour the Amla Gulkand Lassi into glasses.
- Garnish with Amla slices for a decorative touch.
- Serve immediately and savour the refreshing and nutritious Amla Gulkand Lassi.
Feel free to adjust the quantities based on your preferences. You can experiment with the thickness of the Lassi by varying the amount of curd. This delightful beverage not only offers a unique blend of sweet and tangy flavours but also provides a healthy dose of vitamins and antioxidants.
3. Amla Rose Gulkand Chia Pudding
Prepare the Chia Seed Mixture:
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup of chia seeds with 1 tablespoon of Amla Rose Gulkand
- Pour in 1 cup of milk or plant-based milk into the bowl
- Add honey to the mixture according to your desired level of sweetness
- Stir the ingredients thoroughly to ensure even distribution
- Mix the ingredients well to ensure the chia seeds are evenly distributed in the liquid
- Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator
- Allow the mixture to sit for a few hours or preferably overnight to allow the chia seeds to absorb the liquid and thicken
- After the refrigeration period, check the pudding. The chia seeds should have absorbed the liquid and created a pudding-like consistency
- Before serving, give the mixture a good stir to ensure a consistent texture
- Slice fresh Amla and use it as a garnish for a delightful and tangy twist
- Arrange the sliced Amla on top of the chia pudding
4. Amla Rose Gulkand Coconut Ladoo (Coconut Balls)
- 1 cup grated fresh coconut
- 1/2 cup Amla (Indian gooseberry) powder
- 1/2 cup Amla Gulkand
- 1/4 cup condensed milk
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- A pinch of saffron strands (optional)
- Chopped nuts for garnish (optional)
Prepare Ingredients :
- Grate the fresh coconut and set aside
- If you don't have Amla powder, you can grind dried Amla into a fine powder using a grinder
- Measure the required quantity of Gulkand, condensed milk, powdered sugar, and ghee
Roast Coconut :
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat
- Add grated coconut to the pan and roast it until it turns golden brown. Stir continuously to prevent burning
- Once roasted, transfer the coconut to a plate and let it cool
Prepare Amla Mixture :
- In the same pan, add Amla powder and roast it for a couple of minutes
- Add Gulkand to the roasted Amla powder and mix well
- Add condensed milk, powdered sugar, and ghee; mix thoroughly until well combined
- Cook the mixture on low heat, stirring continuously until it thickens and starts to leave the sides of the pan
- Add cardamom powder and saffron strands (if using). Mix well and turn off the heat
Combine Coconut and Amla Mixtures :
- Add the roasted coconut to the Amla mixture
- Mix everything together until well combined and the mixture reaches a dough-like consistency
Shape into Ladoos :
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly, so it's easy to handle
- Grease your palms with a little ghee and take small portions of the mixture to shape into round ladoos (balls)
Garnish (Optional) :
- If desired, garnish each ladoo with chopped nuts or press a saffron strand on top for decoration
- Let the ladoos cool completely before serving
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature. They can be refrigerated for a longer shelf life
Enjoy your delicious Amla Rose Gulkand Coconut Ladoo!
- Amla Gulkand Mithai (Chocolate-Coated Amla Gulkand Bites) :
- 1 cup Amla (Indian gooseberry), deseeded and finely grated
- 1/2 cup Amla Gulkand
- 1/4 cup Khoya (reduced milk solids)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Chopped nuts (almonds, pistachios) for garnish
Prepare Amla-Gulkand Mixture :
- Deseeded and finely grate the Amla
- In a mixing bowl, combine grated Amla, Gulkand, Khoya, powdered sugar, and cardamom powder
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly to form a smooth and cohesive mixture
Shape the Mixture :
- Take small portions of the Amla-Gulkand mixture and shape them into bite-sized balls
- Place them on a tray lined with parchment paper
Freeze the Amla-Gulkand Bites :
- Place the tray with the shaped Amla-Gulkand bites in the freezer for about 30 minutes or until they become firm
Prepare Chocolate Coating :
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the dark chocolate in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until smooth
- Add coconut oil to the melted chocolate and stir until well combined
Coat Amla-Gulkand Bites in Chocolate :
- Take the frozen Amla-Gulkand bites out of the freezer.
- Using a fork, dip each bite into the melted chocolate, ensuring they are evenly coated.
- Place the chocolate-coated bites back on the parchment-lined tray.
Garnish and Set :
- Immediately sprinkle chopped nuts (almonds, pistachios) on top of the chocolate coating
- Allow the chocolate-coated Amla-Gulkand bites to set in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour
Serve and Enjoy :
- Once the chocolate coating has set, transfer the bites to a serving plate
- Serve and enjoy these delightful Chocolate-Coated Amla Gulkand Bites as a sweet and tangy treat!
Note: Store any leftovers in the refrigerator to maintain freshness.
These five easy Indian recipes showcase the culinary marvels that can be created with Amla and Gulkand. From candies to refreshing beverages and parathas, each dish brings out the unique combination of sweet, tangy, and nutritious elements that Amla Gulkand offers.
Incorporate these recipes into your culinary repertoire to not only savour the rich flavours but also enjoy the myriad health benefits of these traditional ingredients.